Monday, April 12, 2010

Beginner's Hike

So we got some unexpected Wifi time at McDonalds because of some weather on the way to Great Basin National Park and some changes we need to make to plans.

Yesterday we went to Capital Reef National Park, again in Utah, and it was pretty sweet. Lets just say we got our hike on! We took a scenic drive which was about 20 miles round trip. We stopped at the end of the road and took a "short" hike of 2 miles to see "The Tanks." We got to one spot on the hike where we had no idea where to go next and had to wait for the old people behind us to catch up and lead us in the right direction. After that we went to what we thought was the end of the trail which was pretty depressing. I have a problem with not knowing where I'm going or what I'm going to see when I get there.. so after asking Nadeen about 100 times on the way what we were going to see.. this what not the outcome I expected. Come to find out we had actually passed the tanks and ended up coming across them on the way back by accident.. it was part of my short cut. Still not impressed with them it was a better than what we thought was the end the first time around.

After that hike we stopped at another one off the scenic drive. This one sounded more exciting, we were going to hike to the arch that Butch Cassidy apparently used as a hideout. Butch Cassidy was an outlaw back in the 1800's. We set out on this hike which was extremely challenging for us at first but got better and was a very cool ending. I would love for that to be my hideout... assuming I'm ever an outlaw or something. On the way back out we took a pit stop to see a couple closed off mines that were used back in the 1880's. The toxic fumes in the mines forced them to be closed and it is just a home for bats. Still pretty cool though.

Lastly we did a hike to a natural bridge. Titled an easy hike it ended up being hard for us.. call us beginners but this was not easy! I took one more shortcut and actually got Nadeen to run the last .25 miles with me... she beat me. I was impressed at how fast she went without falling.. while I struggled not to face plant like usual. The Bridge was really an arch and was also very cool.. but I'm thinking I should tell them that they need to rename the trail and reconsider the rating difficulty level of the hike.

To end the day I made dinner while Nadeen was off goofing around in the orchards and petting horses.

I didn't get to shower yet today... which makes me sad. And I found a nasty farmers tan from my shoes. UGH life is hard. So that being said I think we are ready to get less hike on and more tanning going on.. but first we finish out Utah, Vegas, and The Grand Canyon, then THE BEACH!!


No comments:

Post a Comment