Saturday, April 3, 2010

Snowmen, elk and blizzards everywhere we go

Hello! Cheyenne was so much fun. Araina's parents are so cute and so hospitable. The next morning when we woke up and had breakfast, Amanda and I went to get new tires on the Jeep for the Rocky Mountains. On the way back it started hailing!!! We got back to the house and checked the weather where it said Cheyenne was just going to be rain and fog!? It snowed all day and about 5 inches. Clearly there was some miscommunication between Cheyenne and Atlanta (where the weather channel is based out of). Regardless, we went outside and I built my first snowman ever! He was pretty sweet haha.

After a lot of snow and a lot of wonderful food (Araina's mom is a kick ass cook), we left to go to Rocky Mountain National Park. Apparently Cheyenne was the only town to get snow because the rest of the roads were dry. Dry up until we got to the top of Rocky Mountain National Park and the trails that we were walking, it ended up snowing again. Walking in snow... almost as hard as walking in sand. Especially in fuggs haha because there are no traction and I was sliding the entire way down the mountain. We hiked up to a waterfall that was a frozen water slide. I thought it was cool but Amanda was slightly dissappointed. I was so happy to be back in the car to warm up after our hikes, though I did enjoy the views.

We got to the hotel, and usually I wouldn't talk about the hotel, but this was incredibly funny. We get there at 8:45pm. The indoor pool, which I was stoked about, closed at 10. I mentioned that we were going in and the guy at the desk was like no it's closing, but I guess I will keep it open for you (in an Indian accent). Excuse me?? I only need like 45 minutes thank you. Next we slug all our stuff upstairs and open the door to the room and walk in... umm there was luggage, box wine, and dog toys and treats all over the room. Clearly someone else's room, but I should have grabbed the wine first haha. I had to go downstairs to get a new room etc etc. The guy at the front was very confused on why I needed a new room but gave me one anyways. A situation that should have only taken 2 min ended up being 15 min.

Today, we drove to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park about 5 hours from Denver. It's a really small park and unfortunately due to snow, everything was closed but 2 overlooks. Amanda and I being rebels, we went under the chain of a closed area (to Gunnison Point overlook) to get a better look. It was pretty slippery due to ice but we made it :) An alarm went off while we were down and we thought it was because they caught us down there. But we think it was someone trying to break into the visitor center that was closed, but we aren't sure. Now we are just hanging out in Montrose, Colorado until we leave for Telluride tomorrow to go SNOW TUBING!!! I will talk to you all again soon! Bye guys!

Nadeen

No comments:

Post a Comment